Socal Urology Institute Logo


All body functions- respiration, perspiration, urination and defecation– create acids that must be handled and discarded by the body.  If the acids are not discarded, toxicity (acidity) will build-up internally.  If your body pH changes, symptoms can occur.

The blood is strictly held at its alkaline pH by keeping mineral salts balanced in the blood.  Acids that build up can be held in the connective tissues and other body tissues such as the skin, muscles and organs.  These acids can result in degeneration and disease.

Measuring pH balance through urine testing can help you determine whether your kidneys, adrenal glands, and lungs are functioning by properly filtering blood and maintaining proper acid and alkaline balance in the bloodstream.  You can test your pH at home following a few simple steps and remembering that the ideal urinary pH is between 6.5 – 7.0.

What we eat and drink can contribute to the system which keeps the body in a state of pH balance.  Once you learn more about your body chemistry, you can make the adjustments toward optimum health and vitality.

Women in their reproductive years need their gynecological systems to maintain a very specific pH level for conception and vaginal health.  Women who are worried about their pH levels should consult their healthcare provider for pH level tests.  Shifts in the pH balance caused by the reactions of naturally occurring yeast and bacteria throughout a woman’s regular monthly cycle can raise risks of infection, including sexually transmitted diseases.

With that in mind, initial response may lead to dietary modification.  However, the body has its own natural responses to shifts in the alkalinity and acidity of the diet, and without accounting for stomach acids and immune system response, dietary modifications can change the balance even further. Working with a healthcare professional rather than experimenting with foods will prevent further risk and discomfort.


For an appointment or consultation with Dr. Gary Bellman,
please contact the office or call 818-912-1899